Saturday, February 1, 2014

Cocktail Time

Did you know that they call a mixture of chemo drugs a cocktail?  Way to take the fun out of a REAL cocktail.  Mmmmmm..... A girl can dream right?  I haven't had a cocktail, or wine, or beer in a long time.   I am actually alright with it because I need to make sure that my body is strong enough to beat the little c and make it through chemo.  So I have had two chemo treatments at this point.  This is how my chemo schedule will work.  The first four treatments are every two weeks.  I have finished two of those at this point.  The first round put me in bed from Thursday until Sunday.  I felt like a 80 year old.  I would be in the middle of doing something and wake up an hour later in a chair not sure how I fell asleep.  I hurt from a shot they give me the next day to raise my white blood cells.  It was rough but manageable.  The second round was this past Thursday.  Dr. Romer switched my anti nausea medicine and hot damn, I felt so much better this time.  I was able to go to Luke's basketball game and Liv's ice skating lesson. So I have two more rounds of this strong cocktail.   This first cocktail is what is making my hair fall out.  But Dr. Romer says when I finish this in a month my hair will start growing back.  (I'm secretly loving the baldness though.)

At the end of February my chemo will change.  I will begin going weekly to get my chemo and that will be 12 treatments.  I have been told that this drug will be easier to handle.  That gives me the hope that I can make it through the next six months.  WOO HOO!

Side effects from chemo are interesting.  Besides peeing pink and my hair falling out, I am a complete ditz.  Trust me when I say this, chemo brain is 100% real.  I can't remember what I walked across the house to do.  I am blonder than usual.  Brad and I were driving listening to the UD Basketball game and I remembered UD tying the game.  About 5 minutes later I had to ask Brad who won.  I had no clue.  I might look like a bald 37 year old but my brain is foggy and functioning like an 80 year old.  So please, if I forget to call you back, it is not intentional.  Be patient with me. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa - I'm Kristie and Jeff's neighbor across the street and even though we've met a birthday parties for Mia we've never really talked but I'm amazed by your strength as you move forward on this journey. I don't know if I could have it or not but hope that I too would fight for my life. My prayers are with you, Brad and the kids as well as Dennis and Kristie as you visit this awful disease again in your lives. I love your strength and courage and know you will beat this monster. Paula Bell

Misty said...

I'm sorry that the first round was tough. I know you can make it through the next 6 months. Your positive attitude has already declared you the winner!

Peggy said...

So sorry that you have to go through this Lisa!
You have the soul of a fighter.